HOW MUCH? credit report

Removing inaccurate information from your credit report.


Your credit score is a reflection of all information contained in your credit report, and according to financial experts more than half of credit files have errors, incomplete and inaccurate information.

Changing information on your credit report may prove to be a lengthy, difficult, and often frustrating process, but it is well worth the effort if at the end you can have "clean" credit report without any negative information affecting your score.

Deal with credit bureaus in writing.

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, both the credit bureaus and the information provider (the a person, bank, company, credit union, or organization that provides information about you to a credit report agency) are responsible for correcting inaccurate\incomplete information in your credit report. In order to take advantage of your rights under the Act you have to contact reporting agency(and the information provider). The best way to do this is in writing.

When writing to the credit reporting agency:

  • Provide complete name, address and social security number and include a copy of a utility bill to verify your address
  • State exactly what information is incorrect; include copies of documents that support your position, and provide facts that explain why you dispute the information
  • Keep copies of all correspondence with credit bureaus.

By the law consumer reporting agencies must investigate disputed information, usually within 30 days They also must forward all the relevant information that you provided about the inaccuracies to the organization which provided the information.

Woman With Inaccurate Credit Report
© - forca

When the company that provided inaccurate information finds that it is in fact inaccurate, it must notify all three nationwide consumer reporting agencies so they can correct your credit file.

Once the investigation is complete, the credit bureau must give you the and a free copy of your credit report if the dispute resulted in a change of your credit file. (This free report does not count as your annual free report under the FACT Act.) .

If requested by you, the credit reporting agency must send notices of any correction to anyone who received your report in the past six months( two years for employment purposes).

If a credit bureau's investigation doesn't resolve your dispute you can request that a statement of the dispute be included in your credit file and in you future credit reports.




Site Map | About Us | Legal Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Related Links | Contact Us
How Much?
Copyright © 2005-2015

Cookies Policy: This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalize ads and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies. Learn More